March 4, 2013

February Fiasco


Let's start out with what Claire did to my Valentine flowers before I even received them.
Blair was driving home from a scout thing separate from me, so he stopped at the store and got me a Valentine's gift. He made the mistake of placing the flowers next to Claire in the car because she claimed she wanted to "smell" them. They were in pile of pieces when he arrived home!


Blair got admitted to the hospital a week ago Friday until Tuesday. He had pneumonia, and had to be monitored until they thought he could breathe well enough. It's annoying because it's the second time in 2 months that he's had it (he wasn't admitted to the hospital last time though, so this was worse). I don't know if it was related to the other, or if his immune system is down now or not, I just know he works around people that have it, and it's contagious.  This was him "posing" for the camera, trying to look as sick as possible. Unfortunately the next day he really did look scarily sick, and was on oxygen.



Xander woke up on Monday morning with a stomach bug I assume.  He threw up all over his bedroom floor, and had some very gross episodes of diarrhea. Just as I was feeling super sorry for myself with my husband in the hospital for a few days, and a sick kid that I'm cleaning up after, I complained on facebook with the ending "please nothing else."  Well, I must have jinxed myself because there was a major something more at about the time school was letting out.

I asked my neighbor to pick up Will, and Xander had been asleep on the couch but I noticed he was sitting up and looking around. I asked him how he was feeling and he didn't answer. I went over to him, and kept asking him questions in which he didn't answer. I was doing this for a few minutes and asking him to please answer me, and asking him why he couldn't talk, and getting increasingly worried. He was looking at me and kept doing this weird smile where he'd flex and then release. It reminded me of a handicapped person that can't quite control their body movements, and I was getting really worried.

I got the phone to call Blair (still a patient in the hospital), and got the other phone at the same time. I went back in front of him and started calling Blair in which he didn't answer. Then Xander started shaking, and frothing at the mouth with his teeth clenched, and I called 911.

I have to say that was the scariest experience I've had thus far. To make a long story short, being the time of day that it was, half of my neighborhood was outside bringing kids home, and so there was plenty of help to take my kids etc. Xander could talk by the time the ambulance came, and has seemed normal ever since. He looked much better after he got some fluids at the hospital, but he didn't really have a high fever (it was 100. something at the hospital) or anything abnormal on other tests so far, so we can only assume it was caused from his sickness somehow, and hope that it never happens again.

Once we got to the hospital, a co-worker of Blair's saw me and I had him go up and tell Blair what was going on (I guess he was showering). They wheeled him down with oxygen on the back of his chair, and luckily he could be there with me. Then he was wheeled back to the 3rd floor after we left.  Wow, what a crazy chain of events.