June 17, 2008

Bedtime stalling, I mean stories

Xander seems to share a lot of random thoughts to me right before bed. You know- trying to talk about anything and everything just to keep someone in the room? I should just start setting up a video camera for him to talk to, because I'm sure it would be good for endless laughs.

Here's some examples which are fairly typical of how it usually goes as I'm about to walk out the door. Sometimes I get an excuse, sometimes it's questions to spark a conversation, or last night I even got a story.

1. Some recent excuses:

-I'm scared of the dark now
-I think there might be a bear in my closet
-I'm not scared of monsters, but "lamb" is

i.e. "lamb" is his stuffed lamb- go figure

2. Here's an example of his questions to lead to conversation, from day before yesterday:

Xander: Why did you say "no harm" in that prayer?
Me: No harm means: No bad things. I don't want bad things to happen to us.
Xander: You don't want any bats here?
Me: I don't want BAD things. I said I don't want bad things.
Xander: Bats are bad. We don't want any bats- no bats- any bats here inside this house. They're bad in this house. What do bats eat?
Me: I think usually flying bugs, like gnats.
Xander: What are gnats?
Me: They're like little flies
Xander: Well frogs eat flies too. They just reach their tongues up high and the fly just sticks on. Yep. So, what color do frogs poop?
Me: I don't know.
Xander: I think yellow. No- green, because they're green... but birds poo is white, isn't it?
Me: Yep, you're right about birds, but I don't know about the frogs. Good night Xander.
Xander: Well, can you tell me about that pillow?

3. Last night Xander told me he had a story he needed to tell me. It went something like this:







A bad monster was trying to get someone, so a superhero flew off with his magic flying cape to a faraway land. The monster ate the guy, but he didn't
chomp him down, he just gulped him , so the superhero reached down and and got him back out.









Well the guy was a beast, but a witch made him to be a nice beast. A girl fell in love with him, and there was a walking couch, and it could talk, and they lived happily ever after...



Until a dragon came and tried to get them, and he was breathing fire to them. So a prince got the superhero to come and help him get the fire out. The prince and the superhero poured water on the fire, to get the fire out.


Then a pirate with a booming gun came to get the dragon, and he got it... and they lived happily ever after. The End.